I bought red and gold beets from Henry’s the other day and couldn’t wait to roast them today. I picked a sprig of rosemary from the garden and washed the beets.
Such unsuspecting combinations of flavour here..
- olive oil
- sprig of fresh rosemary
- couple sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 350°
- wash beets
- line baking pan with foil
- put whole beets on foil in pan and drizzle with olive oil
- spring rosemary and thyme on beets, wrap beets securely with foil, folding any open edges
- put in oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes
The slow roasting of the beets brings out so much sweetness. I noticed that the gold beets were a bit less sugary, but still tasty nonetheless.
Under my fingernails are now magenta.. I read a couple of recipes that suggest cutting the beets before putting them in the foil pocket (some recipes don’t even call for foil) but I wanted to keep the beet as a whole for this experiment.