Leilei came over for some down time. We went grocery shopping and I set out to make three things today. Whole wheat apple muffins, pesto and that pasta sauce I’ve been reading about all over the place!
I bought a bag of whole wheat flour a while back when I was making zucchini bread. I thought whole wheat flour has to be better than unbleached all purpose flour.. and I have to say, everything that I’ve made using this flour has been really great. I loved making the rosemary flatbread using wheat flour.
Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe she modified from King Arthur flour’s recipe for apple muffins. I have loved everything I have made from her recipes, so decided to give this one a try today!
WHOLE WHEAT APPLE MUFFINS
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 whole apples (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Mix both flours, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in bowl
- Cream butter with cinnamon and 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- Mix in cup of yogurt and beaten egg
- Beat in dry ingredients (mixture will be pretty thick)
- Fold in chopped apples
- Spoon into muffin tin
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar on top of muffins
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes, lower heat to 400° and bake for another 8 minutes
I was apprehensive about these muffins because the batter was SO thick, but everything came out really nice. I love how the apples stayed moist. The crunchy brown sugar topping was really nice too. I will be making another batch of these very soon.