Jeanette and William gave me a bag of Amish Friendship Bread when I visited, and I didn’t do anything with it until today. WHOOPS!
AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD
– Do not use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing
– Do not refrigerate
– If air gets in the bag, let it out
– It is normal for the batter to rise, bubble and ferment
Do nothing, this is the day you receive the batter.
DAY TWO – DAY FIVE
MUSH THE BAG (seriously, those are the directions)
Add to the bag – 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar & 1 cup of milk and MUSH THE BAG
DAY SEVEN – DAY NINE
MUSH THE BAG
1. Pour entire contents of bag into non-metal bowl
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 cups of milk
3. Measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into 4 separate ziplock bags (gallon size). Mark bags with date and keep a starter bag for yourself and give away 3 bags to friends on the first day. Be certain to tell the friend which day the bag is on when presented to them.
4. Heat oven to 350°
5. To remaining batter in bowl, add: 3 eggs, 1 cup of vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups of flour and 1 box of instant vanilla pudding
6. Grease 2 large loaf pans and mix an additional 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Dust the greased pans with half of this mixture.
7. Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the top.
8. Bake approximately 1 hour. Cool until bread loosens from pan and serve warm or cold.
If you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking ever 10 days. The bread is very good and makes a great gift!
I fudged this batch because I skipped the directions for day six. WHOOPS again! So, the loaves I made today are a bit dry and not very sweet. DANG!! Now my original Amish formula is tainted. I will have to get a new batch from William and Jeanette if they have any more.
Think about it, if there really is still some of the OG Amish mix in my bread, that’s kind of gross in a cool way.